Pet peeves when it comes to describing my job
1) I don't know how to concisely explain it to people so that they'll understand with one word. For e.g., Doctor. engineer. accountant.
I hate getting asked what I do. I take a deep breath, sigh and launch into a full blown explanation of what I do.... Only to get pet peeve no.2....
2) The blank look people give me when I tell them what I do.
Like seriously, they have not a clue.
3) The assumption that I go around inspecting and grading food outlets.
Okay, I can see why they have that assumption... but then it's just annoying to me to have to keep repeating myself... Maybe I should consider including this explanation to pre-empt any such questions or comments.. "Oh.. so you inspect all those food shops!!!" *complete with look of triumph as they think they have succeeded in guessing / identifying what I do*. =.=""
4) "Who????"
"er.. I'm a government servant.. It's a govt. agency.."
"Ohh..." *still looking blank and confused*
Yep.. people just don't know that the org. I work for exists.
5) And the winner....
"Ohh.. so you do that.. omgosh.. there was this one time.. I .. *enter description of whatever gross thing you found in your food / issue encountered* blabalbalbalblablabalbalbal"
*look of pain on my face*
I honestly, please begging you, DO NOT wanna hear about the time you found a maggot in your what and what.. or like had a flippin something something happen to you and you think was because of the food....
I CAN'T DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT AND I DON'T WANNA TALK ABOUT WORK OUTSIDE WORK...
What the heck do you expect me to do? Other than make me feel uncomfortable that your issue was not resolved and that you're basically complaining to me about the organisation I work for, er.. hello?
Social etiquette lesson no. 1: Please don't make the person you're talking feel uncomfortable by dissing who they work for.. It's honestly not a way to carry a conversation out..
Yeah, I hate telling people about my job.
I need to prepare cue cards to answer all these questions.
I hate getting asked what I do. I take a deep breath, sigh and launch into a full blown explanation of what I do.... Only to get pet peeve no.2....
2) The blank look people give me when I tell them what I do.
Like seriously, they have not a clue.
3) The assumption that I go around inspecting and grading food outlets.
Okay, I can see why they have that assumption... but then it's just annoying to me to have to keep repeating myself... Maybe I should consider including this explanation to pre-empt any such questions or comments.. "Oh.. so you inspect all those food shops!!!" *complete with look of triumph as they think they have succeeded in guessing / identifying what I do*. =.=""
4) "Who????"
"er.. I'm a government servant.. It's a govt. agency.."
"Ohh..." *still looking blank and confused*
Yep.. people just don't know that the org. I work for exists.
5) And the winner....
"Ohh.. so you do that.. omgosh.. there was this one time.. I .. *enter description of whatever gross thing you found in your food / issue encountered* blabalbalbalblablabalbalbal"
*look of pain on my face*
I honestly, please begging you, DO NOT wanna hear about the time you found a maggot in your what and what.. or like had a flippin something something happen to you and you think was because of the food....
I CAN'T DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT AND I DON'T WANNA TALK ABOUT WORK OUTSIDE WORK...
What the heck do you expect me to do? Other than make me feel uncomfortable that your issue was not resolved and that you're basically complaining to me about the organisation I work for, er.. hello?
Social etiquette lesson no. 1: Please don't make the person you're talking feel uncomfortable by dissing who they work for.. It's honestly not a way to carry a conversation out..
Yeah, I hate telling people about my job.
I need to prepare cue cards to answer all these questions.
Comments