Why i'm 'jobless'
Well, I suppose I should explain why I'm about to be jobless... My apologies to you my friends for directing you here to read this, but it's just too long to keep typing it out individually.. I acknowledge that it may feel a bit impersonal but like I said, it's really tiring to repeat myself as the story is long.
Basically, I am currently under a fixed term contract which has not been extended. The thing is, I did not really expect this as we were given the impression that our jobs were permanent. The only reason why we had fixed term contracts were for:
- a trial period for us.. (some of us who are on fixed term contract got this impression)
- due to the way the organisation gets its funding, this is how they give out contracts.
We weren't actually told of the uncertainty of things neither was my job advertised initially as being a 'fixed term' kind of thing. Had it been, we would probably have been more prepared.
For me, I did start this job with the attitude that, well, if it's just for 9 months at least I can just try it out.. (Yeah, I've been working for 9 months!!). I can always just move on and look for greener pastures after.. whereas, some actually moved back from another country or left their industry jobs for this job. Which sucks because they thought they were getting a better deal.
3 months ago, we were informed that a part of what we do will be going. There have been rumours floating around for the last couple of years that this was to happen but nothing had. This year, it did. That wasn't too bad though because well, we still had enough work and all. Though, after that meeting, a colleague got wind from an external person that well, the core contract between my organisation (acting as an agent) and the agency contracting us was also affected.
2 weeks ago, we got notice that management had decided to not renew the core contract. This was because the agency contracting us had taken all the chargeable work back and left us with a meagre contract which was unable to support us. It just was not worth it.. This marked the beginning of it all. All this meant that a major part of my team was about to lose their jobs. They'd have to be re-deployed and move on. They were attempting to make contact with the agency contracting us to try and meet each other half way.
Yesterday, we had another meeting one week after the initial planned for date. The agency had only finally confirmed things. It was pretty much we had feared. The contract was not going to be reviewed at all and the agency will take back all the work.
We were told that permanent staff would be re-deployed into our current team (2 vacancies) and another team (3-4 vacancies). There are in total, including admin ppl., 18 staff memebers. 14 without. great..Only 2 openings in the DI team , 3-4 in HET..Therefore, lack of jobs available. The people on fixed term contracts have basically been told to "not hope for much" and just "go on and look for jobs".. The job openings would only be offered to the permanent staff first and we'd only be able to apply after all the permanent staff have had a chance and only if there are anything left.
Thus, that is my story of how I am losing my job.. Makes sense?
What's even funnier is that, most everyone's contracts end at the of June... I just checked mine yesterday and lo and behold.. mine expires next Monday (15th). Hahahah!! I emailed cheekily to my prog. principal to ask hm if I could get compensation for having to go court seeing as I would no longer be an employee by the time I do attend court... lol!
So, this morning there was that drama....
Anyway, I'm falling asleep right in front of the comp... i wouldn't have a clue if what i've said makes sense at all.. oh well.. *closes eyes*
Basically, I am currently under a fixed term contract which has not been extended. The thing is, I did not really expect this as we were given the impression that our jobs were permanent. The only reason why we had fixed term contracts were for:
- a trial period for us.. (some of us who are on fixed term contract got this impression)
- due to the way the organisation gets its funding, this is how they give out contracts.
We weren't actually told of the uncertainty of things neither was my job advertised initially as being a 'fixed term' kind of thing. Had it been, we would probably have been more prepared.
For me, I did start this job with the attitude that, well, if it's just for 9 months at least I can just try it out.. (Yeah, I've been working for 9 months!!). I can always just move on and look for greener pastures after.. whereas, some actually moved back from another country or left their industry jobs for this job. Which sucks because they thought they were getting a better deal.
3 months ago, we were informed that a part of what we do will be going. There have been rumours floating around for the last couple of years that this was to happen but nothing had. This year, it did. That wasn't too bad though because well, we still had enough work and all. Though, after that meeting, a colleague got wind from an external person that well, the core contract between my organisation (acting as an agent) and the agency contracting us was also affected.
2 weeks ago, we got notice that management had decided to not renew the core contract. This was because the agency contracting us had taken all the chargeable work back and left us with a meagre contract which was unable to support us. It just was not worth it.. This marked the beginning of it all. All this meant that a major part of my team was about to lose their jobs. They'd have to be re-deployed and move on. They were attempting to make contact with the agency contracting us to try and meet each other half way.
Yesterday, we had another meeting one week after the initial planned for date. The agency had only finally confirmed things. It was pretty much we had feared. The contract was not going to be reviewed at all and the agency will take back all the work.
We were told that permanent staff would be re-deployed into our current team (2 vacancies) and another team (3-4 vacancies). There are in total, including admin ppl., 18 staff memebers. 14 without. great..Only 2 openings in the DI team , 3-4 in HET..Therefore, lack of jobs available. The people on fixed term contracts have basically been told to "not hope for much" and just "go on and look for jobs".. The job openings would only be offered to the permanent staff first and we'd only be able to apply after all the permanent staff have had a chance and only if there are anything left.
Thus, that is my story of how I am losing my job.. Makes sense?
What's even funnier is that, most everyone's contracts end at the of June... I just checked mine yesterday and lo and behold.. mine expires next Monday (15th). Hahahah!! I emailed cheekily to my prog. principal to ask hm if I could get compensation for having to go court seeing as I would no longer be an employee by the time I do attend court... lol!
So, this morning there was that drama....
Anyway, I'm falling asleep right in front of the comp... i wouldn't have a clue if what i've said makes sense at all.. oh well.. *closes eyes*
Comments