The media and its tendencies for sensationalism
I don't often get the urge to write meaningful blog posts. It's just sometimes when I come across something that kind of bothers me that I tend to want to write one. Usually, I just blog about senseless stuff and whine endlessly. But, today.. I have one thing to point out one thing the media is VERY good at.
Sensationalism.
Click here
THis story is a good example of it.
The actual fact is that Boy, 10, ACCIDENTALLY shoots sister, 6.
Although it is written in the article that it was a, and I quote, "tragic accident", the title just does not do it justice. Granted, I am a rather sensitive person and I tend to pick on bones to fight on. Still, how would you bloody feel if you were the brother and you read this newspaper article titled you "shot" your sister. Gosh.. Ouch? I can only imagine how guilty he presently feels. Probably no need for more is there?
THe media has a big influence on people. This can be both good and bad. More often than not, if presented well, the media is a good tool to reaching out to people. However, one really should take everything in with a pinch of salt. It's not good to just trust totally what you're reading unless the evidence has been substantiated. And article related to health recently claimed that it was not good to take dietary supplements with your meals as vitamin or mineral absorption is decreased when you have your meals. As my lecturer pointed out, there was no supporting evidence for that. The funny thing is, your meal, is basically your main source of vitamins and minerals. So, what? Don't eat your food when you're having your meal as vitamins and minerals won't be effectively absorbed?
Oh well, here ends my gripe for the day!
==@==
ON a different note, I can't believe I've basically completed 60% for my wine science course. THe test was hard yet do-able. Some parts were straightforward whereas some parts, I just didn't have the answer to as I didn't study hard for it. Oh well.. Sigh.. I don't really want to know. I got some of the tasting part right especially with the basic tastes. White wine bracket wasn't too bad either but the red wine bracket was an absolute killer. Sigh sigh...
Oh well darlings.. I'm off to wash the mask off my face!:)
Sensationalism.
Click here
THis story is a good example of it.
The actual fact is that Boy, 10, ACCIDENTALLY shoots sister, 6.
Although it is written in the article that it was a, and I quote, "tragic accident", the title just does not do it justice. Granted, I am a rather sensitive person and I tend to pick on bones to fight on. Still, how would you bloody feel if you were the brother and you read this newspaper article titled you "shot" your sister. Gosh.. Ouch? I can only imagine how guilty he presently feels. Probably no need for more is there?
THe media has a big influence on people. This can be both good and bad. More often than not, if presented well, the media is a good tool to reaching out to people. However, one really should take everything in with a pinch of salt. It's not good to just trust totally what you're reading unless the evidence has been substantiated. And article related to health recently claimed that it was not good to take dietary supplements with your meals as vitamin or mineral absorption is decreased when you have your meals. As my lecturer pointed out, there was no supporting evidence for that. The funny thing is, your meal, is basically your main source of vitamins and minerals. So, what? Don't eat your food when you're having your meal as vitamins and minerals won't be effectively absorbed?
Oh well, here ends my gripe for the day!
==@==
ON a different note, I can't believe I've basically completed 60% for my wine science course. THe test was hard yet do-able. Some parts were straightforward whereas some parts, I just didn't have the answer to as I didn't study hard for it. Oh well.. Sigh.. I don't really want to know. I got some of the tasting part right especially with the basic tastes. White wine bracket wasn't too bad either but the red wine bracket was an absolute killer. Sigh sigh...
Oh well darlings.. I'm off to wash the mask off my face!:)
Comments