Days 3&4 in Penang.
Day 3 in Penang..
Ahh.. didn't blog about yesterday did I? well, let me continue with the gluttony shall I not?
In an attempt to emulate the previous day's eating at pretty much 3 hour intervals, I awoke in the morning (even after having gone to bed the night before filled with the tea latte), with a rather... hungry tummy.. Or so, that's what I've been interpreting the feeling that's been bugging me for the past few days as. I was the .. mm.. second to wake up.. Syaz was up bright and early. I brushed up and then went down with Nicole for breakfast as lunch was meant to be later in the day. Though I had better fill up my tummy beforehand.. Had some food. Was given a table and then went about taking food. Helped Nic put her omellette on the table while she was taking food and I scooted off with my half empty/full(whatever way you see it) plate to grab more food. Also ask a passing waiter to set the table for me.
When I was returning to my table later, I see these two guys looking hesitantly at the table and then started seating themselves at MY table.. So, I walked up to them and then go, "erm, sorry, but this is MY table." Then they start telling me that the lady who was seating people gave them the table.. and I was like.. "yah, but the lady gave us the table first!" Come on la.. you see my OMELLETTE there you don't question why the f*** there's an omellette there on the table before sitting down meh? Then, when someone comes along and says that the lady sat you down there FIRST.. cause obviously, I know I was first else I won't argue.. then be a MAN and bloody stand up for two LADIES la.. fricken pricks.
But no, they persist.. So, with the little patience I have... I call the lady over and tell her.. "you gave them OUR table". Stupid lady goes "Ohhh.. sorry".. Then, she asks me and Nic to move to another table.. Okay, fine.. I don't like making a scene. The most bitchy thing I did was to tell her to take my omellette for me and move it to the other table. Come to think of it, I should've shoved the plate I was holding in my hands to her to hold as well.. She really should've asked the guys to move and not us considering we were there first. Oh well, no biggie.. I'm just being anal that way I suppose. I ended moving table anyway.. oh, and later, when all the stupid kwai lohs around me started lighting up.. I realised I was at a really bad table cause it was in like the stupid smoking section.. wtf?? There was NO sign... and honestly, is it even allowed to smoke indoors??! okay, fine.. in a HOTEL. bah. there were KIDS around okay? Then again, I was already in a bad mood.. so.. lalala.. just being bitchy.
Anyway, went up to the room. Saw messages from dad saying to be at my aunt's place by around 12 and suggested that we leave by 11. I text Kom seeing as she hadn't contacted us by then and it was already like 10.30.. she then calls to say that she was pretty pooped from her ball and didn't really want to go. Nic and Syaz were tossing between following me or Kom. I was still gonna go follow my parents, aunt and uncle to have Udang galah (big head prawn that looks a bit like a mini lobster) while Kom was gonna join her friends for indian food. Initially, I was also a bit undecided about going or not as I had to take a ferry over to the mainland and a taxi to the ferry terminal. I was also feeling tired from lack of sleep and my tummy was still giving me grief (it still is actually). In the end, Syaz and I headed to the mainland while Nic stayed back to follow Kom as she was feeling absurdly stuffed from having had too much food.
Syaz and I took the hotel's 'private' cab to the ferry terminal and we hopped onto a ferry to the mainland.. whheee.. it was pretty hot on the ferry especially when it wasn't moving.. gosh! I enjoyed the ride though.. the only things that were off-putting were the heat and the state of the ferry.. I think the ferries do need a bit of refurbishment.. but from what my uncle and dad were saying, I don't think they have a choice really. It's kinda ick in a way that I even a saw a big fat rat climbing one of the poles... o.o... eep! Syaz didn't see it and by the time I pointed it out to her the FAT FAT rat was gone.. heh.. EEP!! And no, I CLEARLY saw it.. it was big and fat, pretty much slightly bigger than my two fists put together! Took piccies while on the ferry. Dad and his friend came to pick us up at the ferry terminal. Again, both ferry terminals are in dire need of refurbishment. Dad and Uncle says the government are unwilling to provide funds for the refurbishment as they actually want to phase out the ferry service. I think it's an awful STUPID idea. I don't know. To me, the ferry's a synonymous thing with Penang. It just is! I think to phase out the ferry is to phase out one of Penang's symbols! The govt. are building a second bridge linking the island to the mainland as well as expanding the new bridge. Even so, I don't think that's a smart idea. For what reason would they encourage people to drive more in this day and age? I think they should re-do the ferries and put like fans or some cooling system and make the terminals cleaner etc.. There are so many people who actually use the ferry. I think it's pretty packed every ride to be honest.. Ferries are cheap too! Haha.. Rm1.40 for passengers I think.. and about RM5 for a car.. It's like going to Sentosa. You pay one way in and then the other way's free! whee..
When we reached my aunt's place, we started eating again.. lol!!! Cause my tummy was feeling crappy, I decided to have a milo. Aunty pulled out this layered cake made of sponge(bottom) and 2 layers of jelly, a coconut milk layer and a agar-agar pandan(i think) layer.. mmm yum! Dad's friend also brought a big brownie cake from Secret recipe so had that as well T.T. hahaha.. Left for lunch at around 1. Lunch was at this little restaurant in some old old shophouses located in Nibong Tebal. OOooo.. The place is located next to Sungai.. er... crap.. forgot the name.. ah well, the river where our udang galah came from la! hahahha. When we got there, there wasn't really a table ready yet and I saw a bridge over the river and I decided to take a walk to take some pics of the river. Called Syaz along. hehe... It was really really nice. The only problem was.. that bridge also happens to be the link for motorcycles as well =.=.. We were like the only pedestrians there lor.. got so many motorcycles zooming up and down.. It kind of got annoying after a while because I was paranoid about the motorcycles (or their hot engines) swiping me.. and not to mention snatch thieves! Yeah, I'm just generally paranoid in malaysia cause I hear so many stories and people keep warning me >.<.. So, everytime I hear a bike approaching, I have to stop taking photos and watch the bikes and look the people in the eye as they drive by just to 'stare them down'.. Okay, a few times instead I got a random "hi" from the guys on the bikes.. =.=.. I was fine with the lady bikers.. bleh.. but mm.. I kinda got a bit uncomfy a while. I did manage to take a few shots though.. Lunch consisted of normal sea prawns, udang galah (Malaysian giant freshwater prawn - Macrobrachium rosenbergii), deep fried keembung fish (so crispy that you just eat everything including its head!) , I don't know what steamed fish, another I don't know what fried fish, slices of home made old school tall tall steamed bread and a plate of veggies. Mmmm.. prawns were cooked in some curry sauce. It was goooood. In fact, I don't think I would ever see the day that I'd say this, but I think after Penang trip, I'm pretty sick of prawns that I balked when I saw them sitting on the tofu at dinner today. Lunch was done by around 3 but we sat around while some had coffee and eat fruits and dessert that were brought from home. Lol.. yeah, bring your own desserts! hahaha.. I was just too full and my tummy was just feeling awful plus the heat was killing me. Only tried a bit of the nyonya kuih that the Datin made. Apparently it's really rare. It's round and tastes like it's made from something fermented.. cause it has a slight sourish/rice wine taste. Fried on one side and eaten with a gravy that tastes like kaya but doesn't contain egg nor coconut milk.
Left the place and dropped by aunt's for a bit just to use the loo. Syaz and I then made our way back to the island again by the ferry.. This time it was more enjoyable because there was a nice breeze blowing so even when the ferry was still, it was still nice and cool. Kom and Nic picked us up from the terminal and we returned to the hotel to quickly freshen up. I just konked out for like about half on hour on the bed cause I was just feeling so tired and lousy. We made our way to Ferringgi again. Kom took us to a nice beach where Nic looked like the main lady in one of those karaoke videos and she entertained herself by writing our names in the sand, Syaz took pictures, I gaped at the amount of dead little fishies on the beach (like a whole line of them, I saw at least 5-6.. think they were washed up by a sudden big wave) and chased after crabs (I think syaz has a video =.=). Yeap.. I was trying to catch crabs to reminisce about my 7th form bio days.. whee.. I caught 2!! My goodness.. these little buggers can really scoot!!!! They were SO fast and they're all camouflaged really well in the sand. I didn't see them at first but as I walked suddenly I see this sand coloured thing darting around.. CRABS!!! wheeeee.. catch catch catch! mmm.. yeah, come to think of it, there aren't many crabs in NZ for me to catch eh? hehehe.
The sun wasn't very nice though :(.. It went and hid behind some clouds before it set so we couldn't take nice photos. At first it was all bright and nice and I was wearing my sunnies.. suddenly while chasing crabs, I realised.. why so dark one??? We left after a while since there was no sun to watch.. Headed back to the main Feringgi area where all the shops are. It's a bit of an annoyance to be honest these hawkers. It's nice in a way.. but there's just simply.. no space for them I think. They take up pretty most of the footpath so sometimes it's just easier to walk on the road which is dangerous cause the roads are quite narrow. The worse is, further up the road, they actually take up HALF the road cause there are 2 lanes and they occupy ONE lane!! and then occasionally, some idiot will park NEXT to these shops so that cars passing would have to eat into oncoming traffic lane! This just causes traffic to get clogged up like the two nights that I was there. Also another thing that my parents, aunt and uncle were talking about on our way to dinner on Saturday was about the development that were approved by the previous Penang government which SHOULD NOT have been approved. It's just frustrating. To see all the nice lush greenery chopped away to make way for.. apartments. It's already such a packed area.. need there be more apartments? Dad says that kind of development causes the sea to get polluted and actually should not be allowed. Development may be okay, but it depends on what kind.
Syaz and Nic went off to look for DVDs while kom and I sat in the hawker square. I just didn't feel like walking around among the stuffy stalls as I was feeling crappy.. So, I had a good chat with Kom there.. We were waiting for the others before placing our orders for food but I couldn't take it anymore and ordered first. It's quite torturous really sitting in the midst of the many stalls with all that smell wafting towards me.. We were joined soon after by Syaz and Nic and later by Kom's bf, Jason, and a few of her friends and two housemates.
Visited Kom's apartment later while she grabbed clothes as she was staying over with us then back to the hotel where we just sat around.. didn't talk much.. and chilled... I ended up cracking open my pack of Tomato flavoured Twisties. That just started a chain reaction la.. Nic opened her pack of Mr. potato chips and coconut that she bought the night before, while Syaz opened her bag of chocolate snack thing that's like a type of cereal I've had before. I then later decided to follow Nic and cracked open the coconut that I asked her to buy for me. hehee.. it was goood.. Sweet. A bit old but the flesh was still quite soft.
After all that eating, we slowly drifted off to bed.. I was about to draw the curtains when I noticed the nice view. Kom and Syaz were both sound asleep by then.. I called Nic to join me at the window and we both pretty much stood there for I don't know how long, talking and marvelling at the view.. We went to bed only at around 2.40am.
Day 4
Woke up late.. got ready and my dad picked us up.. While lining up to check out, I drop one of the key cards. As I was standing up after bending over to pick up the key card, the guy behind me burps and a *preeeeeeeet* fart followed soon after.. It.was.not.a.soft.fart.
O.O
I just quickly turned around and had to release my 'tension' from laughing by texting Kom and Matt about it! hahaa.
Checked out and the room was charged at a cheaper rate than what was quoted on the online booking system! Yay! Not gonna question their 'mistake' XP. I'm sure they can afford it.. Only about RM20 cheaper per pax la.
We bade farewell to Kom.. sigh.. won't see her till the next time I come back.. and off we were.. WEnt for lunch at the 'sunway mall' near my aunt's place in sakae sushi. Overeat at lunch again cause I was hungry and didn't go down for breakfast. Not to mention I had the 'fat ko' my aunt bought from the market.. it was good! Different from the ones I usually get here. This one had a more mmm, wet texture. Not like a cake like the ones you get in KL, but a wetter more kuih like texture I suppose. The taste was definitely there though.. mmm :D coincidentally had that as my snack just now (cause my tummy's still doing a bit of rumbling here and there).
Pushed off from Penang after a pit stop at my aunt's following lunch. Stopped to get Pomellos(like 10 of them again.. bought like 10 on the way up as well. Syaz got 2 hehehe..) and for a drink on the way back at 2 different rest stops.
Hmm.. long long blog huh? Okay, I really should start posting more piccies.. heheheh .. sorry sorry! will try and get off my lazy bum k! btw, my phone is officially in need of help. I tried updating the software only to realise I need to USB cable that's in... NZ!!! BAH!!! =.=
Ahh.. didn't blog about yesterday did I? well, let me continue with the gluttony shall I not?
In an attempt to emulate the previous day's eating at pretty much 3 hour intervals, I awoke in the morning (even after having gone to bed the night before filled with the tea latte), with a rather... hungry tummy.. Or so, that's what I've been interpreting the feeling that's been bugging me for the past few days as. I was the .. mm.. second to wake up.. Syaz was up bright and early. I brushed up and then went down with Nicole for breakfast as lunch was meant to be later in the day. Though I had better fill up my tummy beforehand.. Had some food. Was given a table and then went about taking food. Helped Nic put her omellette on the table while she was taking food and I scooted off with my half empty/full(whatever way you see it) plate to grab more food. Also ask a passing waiter to set the table for me.
When I was returning to my table later, I see these two guys looking hesitantly at the table and then started seating themselves at MY table.. So, I walked up to them and then go, "erm, sorry, but this is MY table." Then they start telling me that the lady who was seating people gave them the table.. and I was like.. "yah, but the lady gave us the table first!" Come on la.. you see my OMELLETTE there you don't question why the f*** there's an omellette there on the table before sitting down meh? Then, when someone comes along and says that the lady sat you down there FIRST.. cause obviously, I know I was first else I won't argue.. then be a MAN and bloody stand up for two LADIES la.. fricken pricks.
But no, they persist.. So, with the little patience I have... I call the lady over and tell her.. "you gave them OUR table". Stupid lady goes "Ohhh.. sorry".. Then, she asks me and Nic to move to another table.. Okay, fine.. I don't like making a scene. The most bitchy thing I did was to tell her to take my omellette for me and move it to the other table. Come to think of it, I should've shoved the plate I was holding in my hands to her to hold as well.. She really should've asked the guys to move and not us considering we were there first. Oh well, no biggie.. I'm just being anal that way I suppose. I ended moving table anyway.. oh, and later, when all the stupid kwai lohs around me started lighting up.. I realised I was at a really bad table cause it was in like the stupid smoking section.. wtf?? There was NO sign... and honestly, is it even allowed to smoke indoors??! okay, fine.. in a HOTEL. bah. there were KIDS around okay? Then again, I was already in a bad mood.. so.. lalala.. just being bitchy.
Anyway, went up to the room. Saw messages from dad saying to be at my aunt's place by around 12 and suggested that we leave by 11. I text Kom seeing as she hadn't contacted us by then and it was already like 10.30.. she then calls to say that she was pretty pooped from her ball and didn't really want to go. Nic and Syaz were tossing between following me or Kom. I was still gonna go follow my parents, aunt and uncle to have Udang galah (big head prawn that looks a bit like a mini lobster) while Kom was gonna join her friends for indian food. Initially, I was also a bit undecided about going or not as I had to take a ferry over to the mainland and a taxi to the ferry terminal. I was also feeling tired from lack of sleep and my tummy was still giving me grief (it still is actually). In the end, Syaz and I headed to the mainland while Nic stayed back to follow Kom as she was feeling absurdly stuffed from having had too much food.
Syaz and I took the hotel's 'private' cab to the ferry terminal and we hopped onto a ferry to the mainland.. whheee.. it was pretty hot on the ferry especially when it wasn't moving.. gosh! I enjoyed the ride though.. the only things that were off-putting were the heat and the state of the ferry.. I think the ferries do need a bit of refurbishment.. but from what my uncle and dad were saying, I don't think they have a choice really. It's kinda ick in a way that I even a saw a big fat rat climbing one of the poles... o.o... eep! Syaz didn't see it and by the time I pointed it out to her the FAT FAT rat was gone.. heh.. EEP!! And no, I CLEARLY saw it.. it was big and fat, pretty much slightly bigger than my two fists put together! Took piccies while on the ferry. Dad and his friend came to pick us up at the ferry terminal. Again, both ferry terminals are in dire need of refurbishment. Dad and Uncle says the government are unwilling to provide funds for the refurbishment as they actually want to phase out the ferry service. I think it's an awful STUPID idea. I don't know. To me, the ferry's a synonymous thing with Penang. It just is! I think to phase out the ferry is to phase out one of Penang's symbols! The govt. are building a second bridge linking the island to the mainland as well as expanding the new bridge. Even so, I don't think that's a smart idea. For what reason would they encourage people to drive more in this day and age? I think they should re-do the ferries and put like fans or some cooling system and make the terminals cleaner etc.. There are so many people who actually use the ferry. I think it's pretty packed every ride to be honest.. Ferries are cheap too! Haha.. Rm1.40 for passengers I think.. and about RM5 for a car.. It's like going to Sentosa. You pay one way in and then the other way's free! whee..
When we reached my aunt's place, we started eating again.. lol!!! Cause my tummy was feeling crappy, I decided to have a milo. Aunty pulled out this layered cake made of sponge(bottom) and 2 layers of jelly, a coconut milk layer and a agar-agar pandan(i think) layer.. mmm yum! Dad's friend also brought a big brownie cake from Secret recipe so had that as well T.T. hahaha.. Left for lunch at around 1. Lunch was at this little restaurant in some old old shophouses located in Nibong Tebal. OOooo.. The place is located next to Sungai.. er... crap.. forgot the name.. ah well, the river where our udang galah came from la! hahahha. When we got there, there wasn't really a table ready yet and I saw a bridge over the river and I decided to take a walk to take some pics of the river. Called Syaz along. hehe... It was really really nice. The only problem was.. that bridge also happens to be the link for motorcycles as well =.=.. We were like the only pedestrians there lor.. got so many motorcycles zooming up and down.. It kind of got annoying after a while because I was paranoid about the motorcycles (or their hot engines) swiping me.. and not to mention snatch thieves! Yeah, I'm just generally paranoid in malaysia cause I hear so many stories and people keep warning me >.<.. So, everytime I hear a bike approaching, I have to stop taking photos and watch the bikes and look the people in the eye as they drive by just to 'stare them down'.. Okay, a few times instead I got a random "hi" from the guys on the bikes.. =.=.. I was fine with the lady bikers.. bleh.. but mm.. I kinda got a bit uncomfy a while. I did manage to take a few shots though.. Lunch consisted of normal sea prawns, udang galah (Malaysian giant freshwater prawn - Macrobrachium rosenbergii), deep fried keembung fish (so crispy that you just eat everything including its head!) , I don't know what steamed fish, another I don't know what fried fish, slices of home made old school tall tall steamed bread and a plate of veggies. Mmmm.. prawns were cooked in some curry sauce. It was goooood. In fact, I don't think I would ever see the day that I'd say this, but I think after Penang trip, I'm pretty sick of prawns that I balked when I saw them sitting on the tofu at dinner today. Lunch was done by around 3 but we sat around while some had coffee and eat fruits and dessert that were brought from home. Lol.. yeah, bring your own desserts! hahaha.. I was just too full and my tummy was just feeling awful plus the heat was killing me. Only tried a bit of the nyonya kuih that the Datin made. Apparently it's really rare. It's round and tastes like it's made from something fermented.. cause it has a slight sourish/rice wine taste. Fried on one side and eaten with a gravy that tastes like kaya but doesn't contain egg nor coconut milk.
Left the place and dropped by aunt's for a bit just to use the loo. Syaz and I then made our way back to the island again by the ferry.. This time it was more enjoyable because there was a nice breeze blowing so even when the ferry was still, it was still nice and cool. Kom and Nic picked us up from the terminal and we returned to the hotel to quickly freshen up. I just konked out for like about half on hour on the bed cause I was just feeling so tired and lousy. We made our way to Ferringgi again. Kom took us to a nice beach where Nic looked like the main lady in one of those karaoke videos and she entertained herself by writing our names in the sand, Syaz took pictures, I gaped at the amount of dead little fishies on the beach (like a whole line of them, I saw at least 5-6.. think they were washed up by a sudden big wave) and chased after crabs (I think syaz has a video =.=). Yeap.. I was trying to catch crabs to reminisce about my 7th form bio days.. whee.. I caught 2!! My goodness.. these little buggers can really scoot!!!! They were SO fast and they're all camouflaged really well in the sand. I didn't see them at first but as I walked suddenly I see this sand coloured thing darting around.. CRABS!!! wheeeee.. catch catch catch! mmm.. yeah, come to think of it, there aren't many crabs in NZ for me to catch eh? hehehe.
The sun wasn't very nice though :(.. It went and hid behind some clouds before it set so we couldn't take nice photos. At first it was all bright and nice and I was wearing my sunnies.. suddenly while chasing crabs, I realised.. why so dark one??? We left after a while since there was no sun to watch.. Headed back to the main Feringgi area where all the shops are. It's a bit of an annoyance to be honest these hawkers. It's nice in a way.. but there's just simply.. no space for them I think. They take up pretty most of the footpath so sometimes it's just easier to walk on the road which is dangerous cause the roads are quite narrow. The worse is, further up the road, they actually take up HALF the road cause there are 2 lanes and they occupy ONE lane!! and then occasionally, some idiot will park NEXT to these shops so that cars passing would have to eat into oncoming traffic lane! This just causes traffic to get clogged up like the two nights that I was there. Also another thing that my parents, aunt and uncle were talking about on our way to dinner on Saturday was about the development that were approved by the previous Penang government which SHOULD NOT have been approved. It's just frustrating. To see all the nice lush greenery chopped away to make way for.. apartments. It's already such a packed area.. need there be more apartments? Dad says that kind of development causes the sea to get polluted and actually should not be allowed. Development may be okay, but it depends on what kind.
Syaz and Nic went off to look for DVDs while kom and I sat in the hawker square. I just didn't feel like walking around among the stuffy stalls as I was feeling crappy.. So, I had a good chat with Kom there.. We were waiting for the others before placing our orders for food but I couldn't take it anymore and ordered first. It's quite torturous really sitting in the midst of the many stalls with all that smell wafting towards me.. We were joined soon after by Syaz and Nic and later by Kom's bf, Jason, and a few of her friends and two housemates.
Visited Kom's apartment later while she grabbed clothes as she was staying over with us then back to the hotel where we just sat around.. didn't talk much.. and chilled... I ended up cracking open my pack of Tomato flavoured Twisties. That just started a chain reaction la.. Nic opened her pack of Mr. potato chips and coconut that she bought the night before, while Syaz opened her bag of chocolate snack thing that's like a type of cereal I've had before. I then later decided to follow Nic and cracked open the coconut that I asked her to buy for me. hehee.. it was goood.. Sweet. A bit old but the flesh was still quite soft.
After all that eating, we slowly drifted off to bed.. I was about to draw the curtains when I noticed the nice view. Kom and Syaz were both sound asleep by then.. I called Nic to join me at the window and we both pretty much stood there for I don't know how long, talking and marvelling at the view.. We went to bed only at around 2.40am.
Day 4
Woke up late.. got ready and my dad picked us up.. While lining up to check out, I drop one of the key cards. As I was standing up after bending over to pick up the key card, the guy behind me burps and a *preeeeeeeet* fart followed soon after.. It.was.not.a.soft.fart.
O.O
I just quickly turned around and had to release my 'tension' from laughing by texting Kom and Matt about it! hahaa.
Checked out and the room was charged at a cheaper rate than what was quoted on the online booking system! Yay! Not gonna question their 'mistake' XP. I'm sure they can afford it.. Only about RM20 cheaper per pax la.
We bade farewell to Kom.. sigh.. won't see her till the next time I come back.. and off we were.. WEnt for lunch at the 'sunway mall' near my aunt's place in sakae sushi. Overeat at lunch again cause I was hungry and didn't go down for breakfast. Not to mention I had the 'fat ko' my aunt bought from the market.. it was good! Different from the ones I usually get here. This one had a more mmm, wet texture. Not like a cake like the ones you get in KL, but a wetter more kuih like texture I suppose. The taste was definitely there though.. mmm :D coincidentally had that as my snack just now (cause my tummy's still doing a bit of rumbling here and there).
Pushed off from Penang after a pit stop at my aunt's following lunch. Stopped to get Pomellos(like 10 of them again.. bought like 10 on the way up as well. Syaz got 2 hehehe..) and for a drink on the way back at 2 different rest stops.
Hmm.. long long blog huh? Okay, I really should start posting more piccies.. heheheh .. sorry sorry! will try and get off my lazy bum k! btw, my phone is officially in need of help. I tried updating the software only to realise I need to USB cable that's in... NZ!!! BAH!!! =.=
Comments