Death can be a sticky issue.
BUt then again, it's probably because of the way we humans look at it. It's the complicated manner or rather the variety of ways different people deal with it that makes it hard for one to know how to approach the subject with a person.
I was recently having coffee when I saw a friend of mine. I waved hi and then one of my friends goes out to talk to her and her bf for a bit. My other friend then tells me of the unfortunate event that has recently taken place. So, I sat there pondering.. "should I acknowledge the fact and give my condolences, or should I ignore it and just keep it to myself?"
At that time, it was a rather awkward situation and I chose to go with the latter and to keep it to myself. I still don't know if this was the right thing to do, or not. THinking about it, I suppose the manner in which I should have reacted should ideally be based on the person's character. Is she one to receive condolences and yet be able to mantain her composure and not be pushed back into a well of mourning? Or would my few words "My condolences" cause her to think about things she doesn't want to? I suppose in a sense, it would cause her pain. Losing a loved one is not a walk in the park but it all ends up in her ability to cope with the situation I suppose.
AH well, there isn't any real point to this e-mail, it's just a pondering one.
BUt then again, it's probably because of the way we humans look at it. It's the complicated manner or rather the variety of ways different people deal with it that makes it hard for one to know how to approach the subject with a person.
I was recently having coffee when I saw a friend of mine. I waved hi and then one of my friends goes out to talk to her and her bf for a bit. My other friend then tells me of the unfortunate event that has recently taken place. So, I sat there pondering.. "should I acknowledge the fact and give my condolences, or should I ignore it and just keep it to myself?"
At that time, it was a rather awkward situation and I chose to go with the latter and to keep it to myself. I still don't know if this was the right thing to do, or not. THinking about it, I suppose the manner in which I should have reacted should ideally be based on the person's character. Is she one to receive condolences and yet be able to mantain her composure and not be pushed back into a well of mourning? Or would my few words "My condolences" cause her to think about things she doesn't want to? I suppose in a sense, it would cause her pain. Losing a loved one is not a walk in the park but it all ends up in her ability to cope with the situation I suppose.
AH well, there isn't any real point to this e-mail, it's just a pondering one.
Comments